Professional Development Workshops for Your Staff
From marketing to human resources, business communications to risk management, SOU faculty can provide a straight-forward, useful framework for your staff to better understand and manage the fundamentals that underlie their day-to-day work.
Sample workshops include:
- Optimizing Group Work: Have you felt frustrated by the number of ineffective meetings creeping onto your schedule? By apparent agreement on a goal dissolving into a lack of real commitment to the task? Learn more about group dynamics and communication and the way process supports or undermines content.
- Five Accounting Ideas To Save You Money: Especially for those who have had to learn on the job, this workshop helps you see beyond "the way we've always done things" to grasp new ideas and processes. Easy to implement ways to cut costs and boost profits right now - you can't afford to wait!
- Effective Web-based Market Research: Learn to use the power of a simple internet connection to gather reliable market research. Real data will help you target the best new business development opportunities. No more guesswork - you will have thoughtfully developed and tested data to base your decisions on.
- What Small Business Owners Can Learn From The Fortune 100: Use case studies to explore how the most successful businesses have faced the same challenges as you, and used them as a stepping stone to greater success. Analyze recurring trends in these stories of success, and discuss how to apply the same strategies in your organization.
- Principles of Leadership: Freshen up your leadership team with this dynamic, insightful examination of perspectives on leadership. Start with a quick overview of recurring themes in today's hot leadership books, then drill down to a close look at your potential. Chart steps from potential to reality, and make a plan to move forward with leadership in your own life.
- Risk Management Today: Theoretical analysis joins up with industry experience to bring you a fast-paced look at the most significant things you can do to limit your liability as a business. Learn from the mistakes of others! Reduce your exposure, insurance costs, and the amount of time your business spends on dealing with problems.
The workshops can be held on SOU's Ashland or Medford campus, or at the employer's site. They can be from 1-3 hours (depending on the employer's preference) and will be focused on practical, immediately applicable skill development. The SOU faculty teaching these workshops will adapt the most useful nuggets from current research and teaching for concrete application to today's workforce problems.
Call 552-6899 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to explore workshop subjects, date and time that are perfect just for your staff.
Professional Development for Counselors and Psychologists
Sharpen your professional skills with workshops offered by faculty and guest lecturers from the SOU Mental Health Counseling Program. University-sponsored workshops bring you the latest updates in the field and earn CEUs from the National Board for Certified Counselors. We adhere to NBCC Continuing Education Guidelines.
Workshops take place on the SOU campus in Ashland.
In the Winter - Child Counseling: Integrating Talk Therapy with Multi-Modal Approaches (CRN 5255)
Saturdays January 12, February 9, March 9, 10:00am – 6:00pm each day (with lunch break each day)
Cost: $ 250 for 24 CEUs
Instructor: Audrey Lehmann, PhD, LMFT, REAT
Content: This is an experiential course in which hands-on, practical skills will be taught for integrating talk therapy with multi-modal approaches to child/adolescent therapy, such as play therapy, sand tray, role play/enactments, the use of journaling, and other expressive therapies. As such, this course will address varying forms of communication with children and adolescents, depending on their developmental levels (e.g. talk versus play therapy).
In the Spring - Dialectical Behavior Therapy(PSY 407)
Thursdays 4:00-6:50 pm, April 4 – June 13, 2013
Cost: $250 for 30 CEUs
Instructor: Ilene Goldman, M.S.
Content: This course is designed for masters-level counseling students and mental health practitioners wanting to learn how to use DBT to treat clients carrying a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. This will introduce you to the practice of DBT for Community Mental Health settings and private practice, including both individual therapy and skills training components of a comprehensive DBT treatment program. This class is not designed to provide clinical supervision or consultation regarding specific clients you are working with at this time.
Pre-registration is required: These workshops and classes are offered to community mental health professionals as a Pass/No Pass course.
To register, use the Non-admitted Student Enrollment Form [PDF].
Professional Development for Business Leaders
SOU offers both individual classes and degree programs to meet the professional development needs of business executives. Working closely with faculty and fellow executives in a highly interactive approach to learning provides tremendous networking opportunities. Classes and workshops are planned with your busy work and personal schedules in mind: many are short (one-day or two-evening) courses, and most are at the Higher Education Center in downtown Medford. Whether you work in a governmental, commercial, health care, or nonprofit organization, classes such as the following can help further develop your leadership and managerial skills:
- Presentation Skills For Professionals
- Giving Effective Feedback
- Certified Manager Prep
- The Leader As Coach
- Finance For Non-Finance Managers
To explore the classes currently offered, visit the SOU MiM Class Schedule, or call John Bowling at 541-552-8116.
For more information about School of Business Programs, visit that website.
To register for these classes, use the Non-admitted Student Enrollment Form [PDF].
SOU’s Information Technology staff bring their organizational training expertise to your staff with fun, quick-paced and immediately applicable classes. Bring your entire office staff to the SOU computer lab for hands-on workshops. Choose from the following topics:
Office 2007: An Introduction
Office 2007: Word Tips and Tricks
Office 2007: Excel Introduction
Office 2007: Excel Tips and Tricks
Office 2007: PowerPoint Introduction
Mobile Computing: Understand your Laptop
Here’s what other businesses say about John Stevenson’s workshops:
“Excellent instruction and instructor”
“This was the most entertaining and knowledgable class I have ever had!”
“The material was organized and easy to understand”
“Information well presented and relevant”
“Easy language, just perfect speed and level”
“Tailored to give us the tools we need”
Workshops can be one, two, or three hours long, on individual applications or a combination of applications. They can be held at your site or at the SOU Computing Lab. These workshops are perhaps the most cost-effective, useful, entertaining and team-building thing you will do for your employees this year! Call 552-6899 or email email@example.com for more information.
Leadership Development Forum
SOU has partnered with Centerpoint Employee Assistance & Development to offer this comprehensive program for supervisors and managers to develop awareness and skills to lead with uncommon integrity, focus and effectiveness.
This is a very practical course in which you set your own learning goals. You will participate in an assessment center (including on-line self-assessments and 360 degree feedback), five highly interactive workshops, and four hours of individual leadership coaching with a Centerpoint consultant. The program includes workbook and access to Centerpoint’s Leadership library.
The Leadership Development Forum is open to SOU students and members of the community in a leadership position, or with approval from Centerpoint. Admitted SOU students may register directly through SOU’s class registration system. Other students register directly with Centerpoint, and have the option to earn Southern Oregon University credit.
For more information visit the Centerpoint’s homepage at www.centerpointonline.com.