Stevenson Union Administration Overview
The Stevenson Union is a social and extracurricular center of the campus community, and a focal point for campus activities for all members of the University community. The Union serves as a unifying force in the life of the University, presenting opportunities for the exchange of ideas and opinions between students, faculty and staff. The Stevenson Union houses student services and resources and provides space for the university community to meet, hold events, and informally connect to one another.
The Southern Oregon University President is authorized to determine the appropriate use of the Stevenson Union, and may delegate this authority as the President deems appropriate.
The Stevenson Union is a part of the Division of Student Affairs and reports to the Vice President for Student Affairs.
The chief administrative officer of the Stevenson Union is the Director of Student Activities and Leadership. The Administrative Staff of the Stevenson Union consists of the Director of Student Activities and Leadership, the Associate Director of Student Activities and Leadership and the Physical Plant Supervisor. The function of management of the Stevenson Union is vested in the Director of Student Activities and Leadership, who is appointed by the President of Southern Oregon University, and who is responsible to the Southern Oregon University administration. The Director of Student Activities and Leadership shall make decisions relating to the use of the building.
The Student Union Advisory Committee (SUAC) is the primary advisory body to the Director of the Student Activities and Leadership in regards to the Stevenson Union.
The SUAC provides input and advisement to the Director on matters of Stevenson Union policy, budgetary matters and designated space allocation.
Free Speech Zone
The Southern Oregon University Free Speech Zone is located in the Stevenson Union courtyard outside near the bookstore entrance only.
Individuals and groups, whether they are affiliated with SOU or not, are free to express ideas in this space as long as that expression falls within legal limits and does not interfere with our educational process.
Stevenson Union Building Use
On-Campus Group Use
Campus clubs, organizations, and departments may schedule space in the Stevenson Union up to 1 year prior to an event or meeting.
The Stevenson Union is not routinely available for classroom use. Request for use of SU facilities for a for-credit class must be approved by the Director.
Internal users will comply with the following:
- Internal users must be present at, involved in, and significantly accountable for the event/activity being held in the SU
- The activity must be of clear benefit to the University, its students and/or staff and must be related to the normal function of the internal users
- The sponsoring department or student group is responsible for any damage or violations occurring in the Stevenson Union during a sponsored event
- Student groups must submit an activity bid to schedule space in the Stevenson Union. Campus departments must submit in writing (e-mail is acceptable) the intent to sponsor an event
- May co-sponsor an event with an off-campus organization if the on-campus group has the main role hosting the event
- The internal user cannot be used as a "front" for an off-campus group to obtain benefits
- Uphold all local, state, & federal laws
- Abide by all SOU policies and guidelines
Off-Campus Group Use
Groups wanting to use Stevenson Union space may schedule rooms for events and meetings up to 6 months prior to an event or meeting, subject to availability. Off-campus groups are subject to all fees set by the Stevenson Union office. Off-campus groups must follow all policies and procedures stated in the Facility Use Agreement, and must abide by local, state, and federal laws and by SOU policies and guidelines.
Any off-campus group may use Stevenson Union space as a vendor. Space as a vendor is limited to the foyer and courtyard and is subject to availability. Vendors must pay the appropriate fee as designated by the Stevenson Union office and fill out a Vendor Use Agreement form. Vendors must abide by local, state, and federal laws and by SOU policies and guidelines.
The Stevenson Union may be used for the purpose of holding political meetings, provided that:
- There is no interference with regularly scheduled functions
- Students are permitted to hear the speakers without charge
- Sponsors pay any regular fees required for the use of the facilities
- There is equal opportunity for each of the political party candidates to speak
- The activity is educational in nature
Posting campaign signs, announcements, etc. in campus buildings or on campus grounds is prohibited. The public bulletin board inside the Stevenson Union is the only location on campus for posting of campaign signs or political announcements.
The Stevenson Union courtyard, raised lounge, and Elmo's are available for political candidates to visit with students, faculty, and staff. However, these areas are not to be used for speech making and no material is to be distributed.
Individuals from off-campus may solicit signatures for ballot measures in the free speech zone outside of the Stevenson Union in the courtyard only.