"A wonderful mix of practical hands-on learning and riveting lecture!"
Add me to the Ashland Center for Theatre Studies (ACTS) mailing list
Thank you for visiting our website. Please note that the information below is for Summer 2014. We are in the process of finalizing the Summer 2015 program, which will be posted by November 1. Please be sure to check back!
Theatre Teacher Training Program
Earn your Master of Theatre Studies in Production and Design over three summers!
"The program vastly exceeded my expectations! It was an AMAZING experience. I grew as an artist and technician, but I also grew as a person -- the program pushed me to grow in ways I thought were no longer possible. I accomplished more than I dreamed I could. I can't wait to be pushed to next level (perhaps kicking and screaming!) next year. I would recommend this program to any secondary theatre teacher. Life changing. Really." ~evaluation comment from a 2014 graduate candidate
Summer 2014 Two-Week Main Session:
Join us for an intensive, two-week program designed specifically for employed theatre teachers at the high school and community college level. For three consecutive summers, study an integrated curriculum at the SOU campus where you will receive thorough training in script analysis, design, and production. During the academic school year, work from your home base and use the setting of your own school theatre to continue your studies in the areas of research, curriculum, design, and production. This program will help expand your understanding and skills in the art and craft of theatre while allowing you to become a better theatre teacher.
Faculty include nationally and internationally known artists, including design and technical faculty from the SOU Department of Theatre Arts and professionals from the renowned Oregon Shakespeare Festival (OSF).
Course work includes hands-on training in scenic, costume, lighting, and sound design; script analysis; theatre technologies; stage management; and production management. You will also have the opportunity to see productions at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and participate in post-show analyses of OSF productions.
2014 Summer One-week-long Elective/Professional Development
Each summer three credit weeklong courses are offered which can apply to the Master's degree curriculum, or can be registered for by individuals who are seeking to fulfull teacher continuing education requirements for their school districts. Southern Oregon University operates on the quater term system.
- Staging the Musical - July 7 - 11, 2014
- Costume Crafts: Patternmaking - July 28 - August 1, 2014
- Microphone Intensive - July 28 - August 1, 2014
See Elective Course home page for more information.
Master of Theatre Studies graduate candidate information and testimonials
Our students come from California, Oregon, Arizona, Washington, Wyoming, Virginia, Ohio, Connecticut, Iowa, Georgia, Missouri, Montana, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Alabama, Michigan, Kansas, Texas, Tennessee, Nevada, South Dakota, New Jersey, Idaho, Utah, Minnesota, Mississippi, New York, and Maine, as well as from abroad, including Angola, Brazil, Canada, Ecuador, Japan, South Korea, and Tunisia. Here's what they say:
- It's a great program for teachers because it is focused on making us better at what we do.
- I cannot get over how much I learned in just the first summer—
- I met many great theatre educators and all the staff at MOTS were amazing! They were very helpful and wanted us to succeed.
- The professors and assistants are not only helpful, but they become resources for future learning. This is "priceless"
- Skills and knowledge gained here at MoTS translate immediately to my classroom and improve my program for my students immeasurably. Thank you so much.
- I learned a lot! I feel inspired
- Awesome!!! … Amazing!!! … Fantastic!!!... Empowering!!! … The curriculum is spot-on!
For more information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-552-6333.