Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

apply - Oregon Residency

Residency Case Examples

A student graduates from an Oregon high school. The family has lived in Oregon for quite some time. The student attends college in another state and then transfers to Oregon.
As long as the student remained a dependent, she will be an Oregon resident.

A family moves to Oregon and the daughter attends North Medford High School for two years before applying to SOU.
She is an Oregon resident, but will likely have to document her residency because of the short time her family has been in Oregon. As long as the student remained a dependent, she will be an Oregon resident.

A student graduates from an Oregon high school, attends college in another state, and stays in that state after graduation in order to take a job. After several years, he returns to Oregon to attend graduate school.
He must reestablish Oregon residency. Just as it takes a year to establish residency, if a person is gone for a year or more and has taken a job in another state, he has lost his Oregon residency.

A student’s parents divorce and the student lives with one parent in another state while the other parent lives in Oregon. The student applies to SOU and requests residency.
If the Oregon parent claims the student on the federal tax return, he is a resident. If the other parent claims the student, he is not.

A student graduates from a non-Oregon high school, moves to Oregon to live with a grandparent or other relative, and claims Oregon residency.
The student is only a resident if the relative residing in Oregon has legal custody of the student. Simply moving in with a relative in Oregon does not establish residency.

A person joins the military from Oregon as an Oregon resident and applies to SOU after being discharged some years later.
The law requires ex-military members who were Oregon residents to return to Oregon within 60 days of discharge to retain residency. After 60 days the person must re-establish residency.

A non-resident student marries an Oregon resident, then applies for residency.
Marrying an Oregon resident in no way affects residency status. This person must qualify solely on his own merits.

A person applies for residency but has little if any documentation. He has been camping, bunking with friends and just hanging out. He does odd jobs for “under the table” money. He may or may not have an Oregon driver’s license or ID card. He may only have an Oregon Health Plan card.
Residency rules are not intended to penalize someone if the person is homeless. However, the person must provide sufficient objective documentation to substantiate being in Oregon for at least 12 months.

A young woman moves to Oregon to live with her significant other. She immediately begins going to college and, a year later, applies for residency.
As with a married person, she would need to establish residency on her own.

A student graduates from a California high school, moves to Oregon, and attends Rogue Community College. A year later, the student applies to SOU and asks for residency. Oregon community colleges grant residency for their purposes once the person has been in the state for 90 days.

This student would not be a “resident” for the purpose of attending SOU or another Oregon University System institution unless he meets the requirements given above.

A student attends SOU as a non-resident, graduates, obtains employment within Oregon and, several years later, applies to an SOU graduate program.
This student is now a resident, but because she first attended SOU as a non-resident, she must apply for and document her claim to residency.

A family that has always lived in Oregon moves to another state, leaving behind the oldest child who will graduate from high school in a year. The student lives with the family of a friend. He applies to SOU as a resident.
This student is a resident, despite the fact that his family (his source of financial support) left the state. This is so because of his long-established ties to the state. This is a new principle based on a recent case.

Back to residency page