During summer ROAR events, first year students are expected to stay overnight in the SOU residence halls at no cost.
Transfer Student events are one day only and do not include an overnight component.
December and March events are also one day events and do not include an overnight component.
Families and guests are responsible for securing their own lodging accommodations. There are many great options throughout the cities of Ashland and Medford. Due to the peak tourism season, be sure to make reservations well in advance. Visit the Ashland and Medford Chamber of Commerce websites for local lodging options.
What To Bring
Bedding and towels will be provided in the residence halls; however, feel free to bring your own personal items if desired.
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sweatshirt- Temperature cools down in the evening
- Calculator (for Math Placement Exam)
Travel and Transportation
Traveling in and out of Rogue Valley International Airport in Medford is simple, including transportation from the airport to the SOU campus. Transportation to Ashland is also available by train (Amtrak) to Klamath Falls, Oregon and then by shuttle bus to Ashland. Bus transportation is available through the Rogue Valley Transportation District.
Ashland has many bike lanes and bike paths, making travel by bicycle very easy. Ashland was awarded the prestigious Bicycle Friendly Community Award in 2004 by the League of American Bicyclists and has a Bicycle and Pedestrian Commission as part of its City Council.
Freshmen and all other students can bring their cars. Parking permits are necessary for parking on campus.
Directions to SOU
- By Air: Rogue Valley International Airport in Medford (MFR), 17 miles from Southern Oregon University. Rental cars, taxi and shuttle services provide transportation to the university.
- By car: Southern Oregon University in Ashland is 14 miles north of the California/Oregon border on Interstate 5. Ashland is a five hour drive from Portland and approximately six hours from San Francisco.
- Click here for a map of Ashland
- Click here for a map of the SOU campus
There are two primary Ashland exits from I-5, exits 14 and 19. The campus is closest to exit 14, the south Ashland exit. Both exits lead to Siskiyou Boulevard. The university is located at 1250 Siskiyou Boulevard, approximately one mile southeast of Ashland's downtown plaza.