Giving Effective Feedback (Summer Term Course, 2 credits)
Jan Jacobs, Psy.D.
The ability to give feedback in such a way that the receiver is able to hear it and benefit from it is essential for management and business success. This course will provide the opportunity for students to clearly identify feedback-related challenges and develop tools to overcome those challenges. Learning will be primarily experiential. Course work includes selected readings, a variety of writing assignments, discussion, small and large group exercises, and extensive role play.
The overall objective of this course is quite simply to enhance your ability to give feedback effectively. More specifically you will:
- Raise your awareness of your verbal and non-verbal communication style when giving feedback.
- Clarify what you think is important about the feedback process.
- Identify the specific aspects of providing feedback that are difficult or problematic for you as a first step toward resolving those difficulties.
- Expand your listening skills.
- Experience multiple opportunities to practice giving feedback.
- Create a Feedback Development Plan to continue to improve the effectiveness of the feedback you provide.