Community Based Learning
Practical experience enriches learning
Community-based Learning (CBL) is a teaching strategy that integrates course content with relevant community engagement. Community-based Learning uses community activities, work, research or service to meet a specific course learning objective. Through assignments and class discussion students critically reflect on the work in order to increase their understanding of course content, gain a broader appreciation of the discipline and enhance their sense of civic responsibility. Community-based learning can enhance learning while helping students to
- Clarify personal goals while pursuing academic studies.
- Gain a send of personal satisfaction the comes from doing meaningful work
- Identify and research a need within your community and find ways to meet the need
- Participate in socially responsible activities that will have a positive impact on the campus, community, state, nation and world
- Gain experience in a dynamic and interactive way
- Gain knowledge and insights that will prepare you for active civic engagement
- Maximize your personal and academic development to help you achieve your goals in life
- Acquire skills that are transferable to your future career
Community-based learning adds a new dimension to education. Structured community experiences offer meaningful opportunities for students to address complex issues in a diverse world. The combination of community service with academic discipline prepares students to maximize their contributions as citizens.
Involvement in community activities gives students the opportunity to benefit others while benefiting themselves, as they learn teamwork, civic responsibility, and the application of intellectual skills. Regular classes with community-based learning options evaluate student experiences as part of the course.
At SOU, many classes feature real-world components that relate to a wide variety of issues throughout the Rogue Valley. As more faculty and students become aware of the advantages of CBL, the numbers of classes offering CBL activities will grow. All CBL classes combine information, skills, theory, reflection, and assessment methods to enhance the capacity of students to serve in the community, and learn more effectively.