Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

Proof of Eligibility:

Upon check-in to a rental unit and before signing the Family Housing Rental Agreement, the University will require the applicant to provide proof of eligibility including, but not limited to, admission certificate, marriage certificate, children's birth certifcates, custody papers, visitation agreements/parenting plan, or other documentation as determined necessary by the Family Housing Office. If you have been approved to have an animal, you will also be required to provide certain documentation, such as vet records. A full list of required documentation will be provided to you when you sign your Assignment Acceptance letter for an available apartment or house.

Student Status:

A Family Housing applicant must be offically admitted to the University at the time the rental agreement is signed and the student takes occupancy. To remain eligible for Family Housing, a resident must register for and complete a minimum of eight academic credits each term (six for Graduate students): meet the minimum qualifications for satisfactory academic progress as stated in the University Catalogue, and enroll in all 3 academic year terms (Fall, Winter, and Spring). Couples and roommates cannot combine units.

Priority Structure:

Family Housing assigns available units based on a priority structure (please see below). Your particular priority is always the highest priority under which you qualify! For example, if you are 28 years old, single, and a Graduate student, you would be a priority 3 (25 or older) and not a priority 4 (Graduate students). If you are a parent/guardian of two children and a freshman, you are a priority 1 (students with children) and not ineliglble (single Freshman under 25). If you have questions about your particular priority or place on the waiting list, please call our office at 541-552-6371.


First priority is given to students with children, to students who are single parents with custody of minor children, and to non-custodial parents with an established parenting plan. The child(ren) must reside with the student applicant at least 90 days per year. Summer-only visitation is not considered a year-round need. Verification of regular residence by the child(ren) may be required. For units with three or more bedrooms, priority will be given first to applicants with the greatest number of dependents.


Second priority is given to couples without children. A"couple" is defined as two (2) individuals of the opposite or same gender who live together in an intimate, long-term relationship of indefinite duration with an exclusive mutual commitment in which partners share the necessities of life and agree to be financially responsible for each other's welfare, including living expenses. If a marriage certificate cannot be provided, a couple must satisfy all of the following conditions:

  • Share the common necessities of life
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Not related by blood closer than would bar marriage in the state of Oregon
  • Be each other's sole partner and intend to remain so indefinitely, be not legally married to another person, and be jointly responsible for each other's common welfare.
  • Sign a "Couple's Affidavit" and place it on file in the Family Housing Office.
  • Meet at least one of the following conditions:

    Registration with a national, state, or city agency in another part of the world and carry a valid certifcate of domestic partnership.

    Joint ownership of a motor vehicle that can be proven with the vehicle's registration certificate dated back a minimum of one (1) year

    Participation in joint banking and have bank statements to prove that you hold either a joint checking, savings, investment, or credit card account, dating back a minimum of one (1) year from the date of application

    Lease for residence, which identifies both partners as tenants, dating back a minimum of one (1) year

    Possession of a legal and valid trust or will that names the other partner as the main benefactor dated back a minimum of one (1) year.

Third priority is given to single students who are 25 years of age or older. Single students may apply for either a studio or one-bedroom apartment. Two bedroom apartments may be occupied by two single students on a space-available basis only. Single students are ineligible for anything above a two bedroom unit.


(under 25 years)

Selection priority for single students under the age of 25 is in the following descending order: (1) Students who have lived in the SOU Residence Halls a minimum of six terms OR students who have lived in SOU Family Housing a minimum of one calendar year, (2) Graduate students admitted to a Masters program, (3) Active or former members of the armed services (4) Seniors, and (5) Juniors. Please note, if you are a veteran or current active member of the armed services, you MUST email the office at and let us know to have your priority updated!



Single students under the age of 25 who are Freshmen or Sophomores are ineligible to live at Family Housing. Some exemptions may be granted based on an applicant's particular circumstances. In order to be considered for placement at Family Housing, these applicants would need to submit a policy petition form, which is available at the following link: Policy Petition Form.

Non-SOU Students (but excluding OHSU) students are ineligible to live at Family Housing unless they are dual enrolled with SOU a minimum of three out of four terms (one of which MUST be fall term).