Student Computer Labs Rules
The following rules are put into place to ensure availability and maintain a positive user experience in SOU Student Computer Labs. Use of student computer labs implies consent to these rules and the SOU Computing Resources Acceptable Use Policy. For more information, contact a lab aide or lab manager. A list of computer labs and lab managers can be found here.
- Each user may only use one computer at a time.
- With the exception of headphones, digital cameras, and USB thumbdrives, no external hardware may be connected to a lab computer without the assistance of a lab aide or lab manager.
- Hardware and software are not to be moved or reconfigured without approval of a lab aide or lab manager. Consult with a lab aide or lab manager before connecting a USB device that requires installation of driver software (like personal audio/video players or PDA/Cellphones).
- Paper, ink and toner cartridges should only be changed by lab aides. Likewise clearing paper jams.
- No hardware, software, equipment or manuals are to be removed from any computer lab.
- Students may not install software on lab computers that is not required for academic purposes. If you have a question regarding specific software that you need to use, contact a lab aide or lab manager.
- Food, drinks (unless in a no-spill, covered container), and the use of tobacco products are not allowed in the Student Labs. Any beverage or food containers left anywhere in the labs at the end of the day will be thrown away. Be considerate of others and pick up after yourself when you leave.
- Remember to log out whenever you are done using any lab computer. SOU cannot be held responsible for the protection of your data or accounts when you leave a computer logged in with your account.
- Do not display or print sexually explicit graphics.
- Behavior and activities that disturb other users or disrupt the operations of the lab are not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: physical activities such as "rough-housing," loud music, talk or laughter; using computer areas and chairs for socializing, etc.
- Children are only allowed in computer labs if they are well-behaved and supervised at all times. Children may not use the computers or occupy workstation areas. At no time are children to be left unattended.
- With the exception of service animals assisting indviduals with disabilities, no animals are allowed in a computer lab at any time.
- Computer games and chat programs are discouraged in computer labs during peak hours.
- Cell phones and pagers must be turned off when inside a computer lab.
- Violation of any of the above rules may result in disciplinary action and the loss of lab privileges.
- Specific computer labs may have additional rules. A list of computer labs and lab rules can be found here.