How Do I Apply For A PSM Degree In Applied Mathematics?
Download and print the application form (form is .pdf format and will be in a separate window). Or use this fillable MS Word form using IE or Firefox browser. A .pdf of the Recommendation Form is also available. Please contact the Program Coordinator, Dr. Kemble Yates, if you have any questions [firstname.lastname@example.org; (541)-552-6578].
Students must meet SOU admission criteria (http://www.sou.edu/admissions/graduate/) and then be approved by the department for admission to the graduate program. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. The department evaluates applications on based on the following:
- undergraduate GPA in mathematics courses (and see below); note that all undergraduate transcripts are thus required for application;
- GRE general test scores;
- three letters of recommendation (send to department);
- an essay statement of objectives (send to department); and
- a department interview
- a resume or vita (send to department).
Note: Students for whom English is not their native language will also be required to pass an English proficiency exam (TOEFL) with a sufficiently high score to gain admittance.
Students with undergraduate degrees in other disciplines are welcome. The following course work (or its equivalent) with a grade of B or better must be completed in order to gain full admittance to the program:
- Single Variable Calculus (MTH 251, MTH 252, and MTH 253)
- Linear Algebra (MTH 261)
- Multivariable Calculus (MTH 281)
- Differential Equations (MTH 321)
- Calculus-based Probability (MTH 361)
Students without these prerequisites may still apply for graduate admission and can be admitted as a post-baccalaureate student. If accepted, these students are guaranteed full admittance to the graduate program after successful completion of the prerequisites.