McNair Achievement Program
The SOU Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program has two Application rounds per year, in fall and spring terms.
The application period is open on April 2, 2013, for the 2014 Cohort.
The application packet submission deadline is April 29, 2013 at 3 pm.
During the application period application packets are available at the McNair Office in Taylor Hall 125 and available to download in PDF format on this page. Application instructions are included in the Application Packet; however, after reviewing the forms in the downloaded application packet students considering applying to the program are encouraged to visit the McNair office to speak with a representative to discuss the application process and review the program eligibility criteria prior to initiating the application process and requesting letters of recommendation. Turn in your completed application packet in person at the McNair Office in Taylor Hall 125 to finalize the application check-in process prior to the posted deadline.
Students who are eligible to apply for the 2014 Cohort of the SOU McNair Program:
- Are enrolled undergraduate students at SOU
- Are Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors
- Plan to be an enrolled undergraduate student at least through Fall 2014 (December 2014)
- Have demonstrated strong academic potential
- Have never enrolled in a doctoral program
- Meet these Citizenship and/or Residency requirements
And either/both (1 or 2):
1. Who are potentially first generation college graduates (a student neither of whose natural or adoptive parents received a baccalaureate degree or a student who, prior to the age of 18, regularly resided with and received support from only one parent, and whose supporting parent did not receive a baccalaureate degree) AND who are low-income individuals (an individual whose family’s taxable income for the preceding year did not exceed 150% of the poverty level amount). Department of Education Low-Income Guidelines
2. Who are students from groups traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (Hispanic/Chicano/Latino, Black/African American, American Indian/Native American/Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander). Note: Students from this category do not have to be first generation college students or low-income individuals.
Note: Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview with the SOU Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program Advisory Council during the term in which they applied. Applicants will be notified of the selection decisions by the end of the term in which they applied.
Note: Applicants who are selected to be McNair Scholars will be required to provide official transcripts from all prior colleges and universities attended and may be required to provide copies of income tax forms to verify eligibility.
If you have specific questions regarding the SOU McNair Program application process, please call 541-552-8310, email firstname.lastname@example.org or come to the McNair office in Taylor Hall 125.