McNair Achievement Program
The SOU Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 151 institutions in the U.S. and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education.
The SOU McNair Scholars Program provides...
During the Academic Year
- Seminars: on topics pertinent to pre-doctoral students.
- Advising: Meet with the Program Director to discuss academic plans and work with a McNair Faculty Mentor in the student's academic discipline.
- Resource Library: Books and videos available on various topics including assistance in choosing a graduate school and taking the GRE.
- McNair Technology Lab: Specialized software, computers, printers, and scanner are available for Scholar use.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): Resources, Training, and Practice.
- Newsletter: Scholars receive newsletters that highlight Scholar successes and provide announcements of fellowships, scholarships, and program events.
- Phone Calls: Scholars may use the phone in the McNair office to call graduate schools or scholarship and fellowship organizations.
- Graduate School Application Service: The McNair Program will work with Scholars on their graduate school applications and will be available for assistance throughout the process. The McNair Office has catalogs and application forms for selected doctoral programs, provides application fee waiver request forms, reviews copies of application packets, and provides application delivery through secured carriers.
- Portfolio: Each Scholar has a portfolio file, with information that the Scholar provides, maintained in the McNair office.
- Writing/Editing: The McNair Program Director assists Scholars with letters of recommendation and help in editing application essays.
- E-mail: Important messages are sent out to all Scholars by e-mail.
- McNair Website: The website lists scholars and provides links to other resources.
- Scholar Webpage: Each Scholar is provided a webpage to highlight activities and research interests.
- Travel: Some travel funds may be available for presentations at conferences or visits to prospective graduate schools.
- Academic Assistance: Tutors are provided as requested.
During the Summer
Those Scholars who submit successful research proposals, attend all McNair events, and are selected for Summer Research Internships are eligible to receive a $2,800 stipend to engage in independent research under the guidance of their McNair Faculty Mentor. Students work with Mentors, write a research article, and present it at the SOU McNair Scholars Symposium. Selected Scholar research articles will be published in the McNair Scholars Journal.
For More Information, Please Contact
The Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program
Southern Oregon University
1250 Siskiyou Blvd
Ashland, OR 97520-5062