Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

Supervised experience is a substantial part of the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program curriculum. The sequence of courses, including the Pre-practicum (COUN 502), Individual and Group Practica (COUN 504 and COUN 506), and the Internship (COUN 510), are designed to build counseling skills gradually. Initially, counseling students practice in a laboratory setting on the SOU campus; beginning the second year, students function as mental health counseling interns in agencies and institutions, most often in southern Oregon or northern California. Students are required to complete 100 hours of practica (COUN 504 & COUN 506) and 700 hours of internship (COUN 510). This experiential training meets national counselor education standards and specifically, the requirements of the Oregon Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists (OBLPCT) toward licensure.

Details about the practica and internship are provided in the CMHC Practica & Internship Manual. (PDF)

Current Internship Sites

Liability Insurance for CMHC students

The Oregon Tort Claims Act (ORS 30.260-30.300) prohibits SOU from accepting liability for the acts, omissions, and conduct of students participating in practica/internship assignments either on-campus or in off-campus agencies. To protect CMHC students in the event of possible litigation each CMHC student is required to carry liability insurance to cover their professional work during practica/internship assignments. Liability insurance is available through AMHCA or ACA student membership. Coverage must be obtained no later than the first practica experience (fall term of the first year). Liability policies typically cover a one year period and will need to be renewed in the second year of the program. A copy of the policy cover sheet must be on file with the CMHC Office Coordinator and an updated copy given at the time of renewal.

American Counseling Association (ACA) (for student membership and insurance)

American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA) (for student membership and insurance)