Schuman Collection of Musical Instruments
Through the generosity of Jack Schuman of Phoenix, Oregon, and Dorinda Schuman of Sun City West, Arizona, residents of southern Oregon, visitors to the region, and students and faculty at SOU will soon have access to the Schuman Collection of Musical Instruments, one of the world's largest and most unique private collections of musical instruments, some of which are housed in the Hannon Library on the SOU campus. A database of 100 of the instruments selected from the much more extensive collection is available online as part of the Hannon Library Digital Collections. Click here to see the database.
The Schuman Collection brings a new and unique resource to the university. The collection:
- will be available for school tours and public viewing
- will support the teaching and scholarship in the history of music
- will provide opportunities for student capstone projects just as the Schneider Museum does
- will support the development of courses on Elizabethan and Renaissance music
- will be available to scholars from around the nation
- will support collaborative grant-funded projects to develop teaching materials based on the collection and to create digital sound files
- will include Dr. Schuman's extensive collection of books on musical instruments
If you would like to know more about the Schuman Collection and how you can help, contact The SOU Foundation.
Watch the video below of James Edwards performing on an 18th century guitar from the collection.