Poster Guidelines & Printing Instructions
Most SOAR participants use PowerPoint to create their posters. Examples (1 and 2) and a template are provided online for your reference and use. Note that the templates provided are set for a standard 36” x 56” poster, and all posters will be sized to those dimensions when printed. Only posters in this format will be displayed at SOAR.
How to Proceed
Creating Your Poster
- Review the example posters available in the SOAR Moodle site.
- (Optional) Attend a free poster workshop to learn more about creating and formatting your poster. Dates, times and places are posted on the SOAR Moodle site.
- Draft your poster. When adding images, make sure the resolution of your images is high enough for large format printing.
- Proofread your poster VERY carefully; the file you submit will be printed exactly as is—typos, misspellings and all. Be especially careful with names, common spelling errors (from/form; there/their; affect/effect; principle/principal; etc.), and capitalization. Set your poster aside and come back to it for a final review before submitting it for printing, or ask a friend to review your work. Make sure it is exactly the way you want it to look before submitting.
IMPORTANT: SOAR can only afford to print 120 posters based on a first come, first served basis. Duplicates and reprints are not available.
What if I want to present a poster but SOAR cannot cover my printing costs?
- Check with your department to see if they have access to and can allow you to use a large format printer.
- Contact Hannon Library Administration ($40 fee).
- Contact an off-campus printing source such as CDS Publications in Medford.
- When you are done designing your poster, use the “Save as Adobe PDF” function in PowerPoint to create a PDF version of your poster. Only PDF formats will be sent to the printers. Include your last name (or the last name of your lead person if creating a group poster) in the file name. Ex: JonesPoster.pdf
Getting Your Poster Printed
SOAR will print the first 120 approved posters for you at no cost, but you must upload your PDF file to Moodle by May 2, and your poster must meet format criteria. You may arrange to have your posted printed elsewhere at your cost, but you will need to deliver your finished poster to Student Publications in the SU by Monday, May 12th.
NO LATE POSTERS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- (Lead contacts only) Take the two polls posted on the SOAR Moodle site to let us know where you wish to have your poster printed (on or off campus), and to authorize SOU to include your poster in the Library’s digital archives.
- (Lead contacts only) Once your poster is ready to submit, return to the SOAR Moodle site and click on the Poster Submission link to upload your PDF file.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Printed posters will go directly to the SOAR organizers, who will set them up in the Rogue River Room prior to the session. The formal poster session will be held Thursday, May 15th from 12:00-1:30. You are REQUIRED to attend the session in order to present your poster. At the end of the session, you may take your poster with you; any posters left after the session will become the property of SOAR.
Have a problem?
If you have questions about the contents or layout of your poster, speak with your instructor or faculty sponsor. Post any questions you have about the submission process to the Q&A forum posted in the SOAR Moodle site, or contact SOAR at 541-552-6816, email@example.com.