Types of On-Campus Student Employment
Non Work-Study (Standard)
Temporary, hourly; part-time jobs are funded 100% by colleges and departments. They have flexible work hours designed to accommodate the class schedule. The duties, responsibilities, and wage are determined by the employer. Students should work a maximum of 20 hours a week when classes are in session and as many as 40 hours during vacation breaks. A student employed with more than one department needs to coordinate their schedule with both areas to not exceed work hour maximums. This program differs from Work-Study programs in that these jobs are not based on financial need.
Federal Work-Study (FWS)
The Federal Work-Study Program is a "need-based" financial aid program designed to assist students in earning money to meet their college expenses. To be eligible, a student must have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a work-study allocation of funds. Each eligible student is awarded an amount of funds per semester that determines the maximum number of hours per week that may be worked. For on-campus positions, the federal funds pay 90% of the student's wage and the employer matches the other 10% of the wage and worker's compensation, which is 1.5%. Students should contact the Financial Aid office located in the Enrollment Services Center if they are unsure about their federal work-study eligibility. For more information regarding Federal Work-Study, please contact the Enrollment Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-552-6600.
Federal Work-Study recipients may also work off-campus. Off-campus positions require a contract and the position must be community service based at a non-profit and/or government agency. For off-campus positions, the federal funds pay 75% of the student's wage and the employer matches the other 25% of the wage and worker's compensation, which is 1.5%. Contact the Payroll office at 541-552-8506 for more information.