Camp M.D. (Medical Detectives)
Save the dates! Sunday - Thursday, August 3-7, 2014
For 2014 Application information click here in the spring.
For the 2013 Brochure click here [PDF]
What is Camp M.D.?
Camp M.D. is summer residential experience allowing 20 students in grades 9-12 the opportunity to explore health and science careers. Camp M.D. was developed by the Area Health Education Center of Southwest Oregon and the Pre College Programs at SOU. Participants will interact with current healthcare professionals to explore a variety of career options and work environments. Students will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on activities in order to gain a better understanding of the daily responsibilities of these professionals.
Who should attend Camp M.D.?
- High School students from Oregon GEAR UP schools who have completed grades 9-12.
- Students from rural or underserved communities who have demonstrated their interest in a health career by participating in other health careers programs or activities.
- Student acceptance is based on academic performance and strength of application.
What Will We Do at Camp M.D.?
- Expand your knowlege of health and sciences as you explore a variety of healthcare professions through hands-on activities.
- Learn more about your skills and interests and how those can be applied to find the healthcare career that is right for you.
- Gain a broader understanding of the education, training and work environment of healthcare providers from a number of disciplines.
- Spend time with health science professionals & students.
- Participate in team activities with fellow Camp M.D. attendees from around Oregon.
- Have fun, meet new people who share your interests, stay in a college dorm, experience the academic setting of SOU.
When is Camp M.D.?
Sunday - Thursday, August 4-8, 2013
All students arrive and check in on Sunday, August 4 at 6:00 pm on the campus of Southern Oregon University. Meals begin with breakfast Monday morning. Departure is 11 am on Thursday, August 8 from SOU.
Camp participants will stay in the Southern Oregon University dorms and eat in the Cascade dining hall.
What does Camp M.D. cost?
- The tuition is $625, which includes 4 nights lodging, meals, transportation while in the program, and program materials.
- Scholarships are available for accepted students who attend GEARUP schools.