César E. Chávez Leadership Conference
Information for Presenters
Call for Proposals (PDF)
Presenter Proposal Application (fillable PDF - Mac users please use Acrobat Reader to open the file)
Call for Proposals
The César E. Chávez Leadership Conference will be held on Friday, March 15, 2013 on the campus of Southern Oregon University. This event will provide a forum for Latino youth (grades 9 - 12) from seven local high schools to meet community leaders, take part in leadership and cultural workshops and learn about how to go to college.
We are hoping that our presenters will offer practical experience to help attendees increase their understanding, knowledge and skills in one of the particular strands of interest listed:
A. Leadership (The Legacy of César E. Chávez, Community Leadership, etc.)
B. College & Careers (Financial Aid, Scholarships, College prep., Admissions, etc.)
C. Culture, Identity and Arts (Poetry, Music, Art, theater, etc.)
D. Life Skills (financial planning, job skills, work/school/family life balance)
The goals of our sessions are to:
- Enhance the skills of participants and/or provide participants with useful tools
- Actively engage the audience in the session
- Reflect diverse perspectives by offering different viewpoints or including presenter(s) from different organizations (if more than one presenter).
What You Need to Know About Presenting at the Conference
- Session Length: Sessions are 45 minutes in length.
- There are 3 sessions available – one in the morning, two in the afternoon.
- Audio-Visual Equipment: Presenters are encouraged to bring their own computers with PowerPoint viewer software. LCD projectors and screens will be available upon request.
- Meals: Presenters will be provided with a complimentary lunch.
- Presenter Training (mandatory meeting) will be held on Friday, March 1 from 4-5:00PM at the SOU Stevenson Union - Room 313 (fun food will be provided)
- Please submit proposals by January 25, 2013. Use the fill-able application form to complete and submit a proposal.
- Include a short Bio highlighting your education, background, and accomplishments.
- Notification by email of presentation confirmation by February 8, 2013.
- Session time and room confirmation by March 1, 2013.