How to Apply
All Latino students are invited to apply. Students should show evidence of meeting the criteria listed below and should currently have completed 7th 8th or 9th grade. Students may be recommended for admission by parents, teachers, school personnel, community leaders, or other knowledgeable adults.
To be considered for ACADEMIA LATINA students must show a personal commitment to attend and participate. Students must demonstrate at least one of the following:
- Show evidence of leadership ability.
- Show evidence of a special talent.
- Show evidence of ability in fine and performing arts.
- Show evidence of creative or productive thinking ability.
APPLICATIONS FOR 2014 WILL BE AVAILABLE IN APRIL
- A 2013 Application Form in English [PDF] or Spanish [PDF]
- Two confidential letters of recommendation, from a teacher, educator of community member. Student Recommendation Form [PDF] for teachers.
- A student statement written by the student of at least one page explaining his or her interest in and commitment to attend ACADEMIA LATINA.
- Information about special interest, leadership activities, Latino community involvement, and awards or special recognition.
- Grade records for the current year.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 10, 2013
Late applications will be accepted on a space available basis.
Questions and answers are the same but take off the repeated application info.
A $50 student activities fee is payable upon acceptance. The rest of the $650 tuition fee for each student was underwritten in 2012 by the following sponsors:
- The Carpenter Foundation
- Oregon Community Foundation - Walker Fund
- Oregon College Access Challenge Grant
- Naumes Family Foundation
- Southern Oregon ESD Migrant Education
- Southern Oregon University
- Private Donors
Academia Latina 2013 brochure - Spanish
Academia Latina 2013 brochure - English