Mathematics Major Requirements
Lower Division Core (22 credits)
- Calculus I, II, III, and IV (Mth 251, 252, 253, and 281)
- Linear Algebra (Mth 261)
- Mathematical Perspectives (Mth 290)
- Elementary Statistics (Mth 243) is highly recommended; required beginning Fall 2011.
Upper Division Sequences (38-40 credits)
Number Structures (Mth 311) and Geometry (Mth 411)
Introduction to Real Analysis (Mth 331) and an Analysis Topic (Mth 431)
- Abstract Algebra:
Introduction to Algebraic Systems (Mth 341) and an Abstract Algebra Topic (Mth 441)
- Probability and Statistics:
Probability (Mth 361) and Elements of Statistical Methods (Mth 461)
- Applied Area: Differential Equations (Mth 321) AND
Any one Applied Mathematics Topic (Mth 421) or any two distinct topics from Topics in Middle
School and High School Mathematics (Mth 481)
Capstone (4 credits)
- Senior Colloquium (Mth 490)
Associated Requirements (3-4 credits)
- Computer Programming (CS 200, CS 257, CH 371, PH 380 or approved substitution)
- All classes required for the major must be taken for a grade.
- No more than 2 of the upper division requirements may be met with a grade below C-).
Prospective Middle School and High School Mathematics Teachers:
Students who complete the Mathematics Major and choose the two Mth 481 topics for their fifth sequence also meet the course prerequisites for the Advanced Mathematics Endorsement.