- SOU automatically considers all applicants for merit-based scholarships. The exact amount of each scholar’s award varies depending on G.P.A., and residency. For more information, visit: First Year Merit Scholarships.
- Scholars in the Honors College receive Honors scholarships above and beyond their SOU merit scholarships. These awards also vary based on G.P.A., residency, and financial need.
- SOU merit awards combined with Honors awards to provide incoming scholars with four years of substantial funding. Individual packages vary.
- Applicants who are eligible to do so must also fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Exceptions are made for international students and others who are not able to apply for federal financial aid. See SOU’s financial aid page for more information.
- To apply to the Honors College you must first apply to SOU. Apply to SOU here.
- To apply for admission to the Honors College at SOU, Complete the Online Application Form for Admission to the Honors College here.
- If you are applying for the Tribal Nations Honors Scholars opportunity, please make sure you identify this in your application by selecting “yes,” you are applying as a Tribal Nations Honors Scholar. This will reveal an option to respond to an additional essay prompt specific to this opportunity.
- Two Letters of Recommendation are Required.
- At least one letter of recommendation must be from a recent teacher, who can assess an applicant’s academic ability. The other letter may be from anyone not related to the applicant who knows the applicant well enough to attest to character, and the student’s civic engagement activities (volunteerism, community-based activities, athletics, arts events, etc.).
- Please ask the letter writers to submit both directly to SOU Honors College either by mail or by email:
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520
Deadlines and the Interview Process
- Applicants are admitted on a rolling basis beginning in September for the following academic year. Applications will continue to be accepted until all spots in the incoming freshman class are filled. Applications submitted after all spots are filled can be considered for a wait list.
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for admission will be interviewed by a panel of faculty, staff, and students. These interviews will be conducted by Zoom or in person. Final admissions decisions are made after the interview.