Southern Oregon University (SOU) is committed to protecting the privacy of its members and its visitors. In addition, SOU is committed to protecting the privacy of visitors to its various websites under the sou.edu domain and to hosted websites officially branded and designated by SOU.
Information SOU Collects
During general visits to the various SOU websites, SOU or one of its contracted hosting providers will automatically collect:
- The Internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website (e.g. xfinity.com, comcast.net, etc.)
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc.)
- The date and time of visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to one of SOU’s sites.
SOU incorporates Google Analytics into its sites, and thus in addition to the automatically collected information listed above, the following may be collected as well:
- Pages and content viewed during the visit
- Date and time of visit
- Amount of time spent on the website
- Visitor’s approximate geographic location based on IP address
- Next website visited after leaving sou.edu .
How Automatically Collected Information is Used
Automatically collected information is used to optimize website performance, improve marketing, improve visitor experience and to monitor or trace security-related events.
Information Provided to SOU by Visitors
Various forms and applications are provided throughout sou.edu and its affiliated websites where visitors may elect to enter personally identifiable information (PII).
Examples of these applications and forms are not limited to:
- Admissions applications
- Financial Aid applications
- Employment applications
- Donation forms
How Visitor-provided Information is Used
Visitor-provided or personally identifiable information will only be used for legitimate university business or for the legitimate business of one of SOU’s affiliated programs (e.g. Athletics, Theater, Youth Programs, etc.).
SOU does not sell the information it automatically or voluntarily collects. SOU does contract with third-party service providers for legitimate business purposes.
When necessary, SOU will share information with these providers. SOU contractually binds these providers to:
- Adhere to current and proper data protection standards
- Comply with data protection laws
- Agree to not sell or share SOU information with other parties.
As required by law, SOU will also share information to protect the safety and property of the university, its community and its visitors.
Cookies and Advertising