Admissions Requirements for Graduate Students
Individuals who wish to pursue a master’s degree must apply for admission to SOU and also to their desired program to become a fully admitted graduate student.
Graduate Student Requirements:
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree from an accredited college or university, as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Students who received a baccalaureate degree from a non-accredited institution may consult the dean that supervises their desired program regarding the policy on special admission of graduate students with baccalaureate degrees from non-accredited institutions.
- Applicants must have completed sufficient prerequisite coursework to pursue graduate work in the proposed academic area.
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of undergraduate coursework.
Contact your graduate program coordinator with questions about program admissions requirements!
Non-Admitted Graduate Students
Students who have an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and who wish to enroll in no more than 8 credits during a term may apply online as a non-admitted graduate student.
Non-Admitted Graduate Student Stipulations:
- Non-Admitted graduate students will not earn a degree and are not eligible for Financial Aid.
- Graduate programs may only accept a specific number of these credits prior to granting approval for admission into the program. Please contact the appropriate graduate program coordinator for further assistance.
- Non-admitted graduate students may take a mixture of undergraduate and graduate level coursework. Please note that if you become a non-admitted graduate student, you will pay graduate level tuition rates for all of your coursework, including undergraduate coursework. If you are only planning on taking undergraduate coursework, please consult the Office of Admissions about becoming a post-baccalaureate undergraduate student.
Please see the formal policies for Non-Admitted Undergraduate and Non-Admitted Graduate students for official information about qualifications and regulations.