Marketing is a necessary must for all firms and organizations and offers a variety of courses that prepare learners for an exciting career within the Marketing sector. The Marketing minor answers a need from one the state’s fastest growing sectors. Marketing managers are in high demand as we move increasingly into a digital distribution model.
The Marketing minor provides statewide and regional support for learners and community members interested in better understanding their customers and stakeholders. The minor serves a diverse learner mix that will include first generation college students, adult learners, and traditional students. In addition, the Marketing minor offers learners various opportunities for working with local agencies and businesses, providing applied research, and helping further existing business strategies for sustainability.
Marketing Minor Goals:
Upon successful completion of this minor program, the learner will be able to:
- Assess the role of marketing, as it relates to corporate strategy, business operations, financial objectives, and social responsibility.
- Analyze relevant economic, social, and environmental data as applied to a wide range of corporate and not for profit organizations.
- Evaluate strategies, policies and principles for success in various organizations.
- Analyze plans, policies, and approaches being currently used to guide strategies through the lens of the four main functions of marketing (Product, Price, Place, and Promotion).
- Identify challenges, weaknesses, and strengths of the marketing efforts within different geo-cultural contexts.
- Recognize socio-cultural, environmental and economic impacts of marketing at the individual, community, and greater society levels.
- Apply principles of marketing in case study contexts.
Students graduating from SOU with this minor will be prepared for:
- Product/Brand Manager
- Sales of both products and services
- Marketing Communications Specialist
- Tourism Marketing manager
- Marketing Research specialist
- Distribution/Warehouse manager
See Course Requirements