The SEL badge demonstrates a sustained focus on the knowledge, skills, and direct experience necessary to integrate social emotional learning competencies in teaching, counseling, and other educational contexts. Students completing this badge will understand the research base of SEL along with its place in the border field of holistic education. This badge will also represent significant attention to practical applications of SEL content in curriculum and to coaching and counseling strategies.
Completed your requirements and ready to collect your badge?
Apply to receive your micro-credential badge here.
Candidates must complete a minimum of 12 credits from among the following courses:
- ED 399 SEL Professional Development, 1 credit, repeatable for up to 12 credits
- ED 439 or ED 539 Social Emotional Learning, 3 credits
- ED 456 or ED 556 Holistic Education, 3 credits
- ED 424 or ED 524 Core Reflection, 3 credits
- ED 425 or ED 525 Play as Core Curriculum, 3 credits
- ED 466 Human Relations or ED 462 Human Development, 3-4 credits
- PSY 411 / 511 Positive Psychology or PSY 472 / 507 Sustainable Compassion, 4 credits
- Minimum grade of C or better in all courses contributing to this badge
- Successful application of SEL teaching and/or coaching principles are included in required courses, including: ED 439/539, ED 456/556, ED 424/524, and within the ED 399 professional development series.
- Understand and effectively apply the five core competencies of social emotional learning identified by the Collaborative for Academic and Social Emotional Learning (CASEL).
- Create a curriculum that integrates core SEL skills with research-based practices.
- Identify strength characteristics and core qualities in oneself and in others while drawing on that awareness to achieve a positive mindset.
- Develop an individualized approach to self-regulating emotions leading to greater
personal autonomy in self-management and behavior.